Crossing over the line into February, we’re just weeks away from starting summer transplants like peppers and tomatoes. Yes, summer will come sooner than you think!
Now is the time to make plans for your summer produce needs. We offer two kinds of CSA shares: a full share where you receive a 3/4 bushel box of what’s in season every week for 16 weeks and an every-other-week share where you receive a box, well, every other week over the same time.
Full-Weekly Share (3/4 bushel box each week, 16 boxes):
- Pick up at drop site or farm – $495
Every-other-week Share (3/4 bushel box every other week, 8 boxes):
- Pick up at drop site or farm – $255
DROP SITE LOCATIONS
1. MANNA Food Co-op in Detroit Lakes (Fridays)
2. Clean Plate Grocery in Perham (Fridays)
Riverview Place in Pelican Rapids (Fridays)
4. Keller Williams Realty in Fergus Falls (Tuesdays)
5. On site at Lida Farm (Fridays)
HOW TO SIGN UP
Please fill our our 2017 order form below to join for the year. We ask for half the payment when you sign up with the remainder due half way through the summer.
Now that MPR started their winter member drive this week, it’s about time for us to sign up new and returning members for our 2016 season. All details are at the CSA info page on this website.
Is a CSA Right for Me?
All told, the magic of any CSA is eating and cooking with the season. I have found that CSA does not work for everybody. In my experience, these are the types of people for whom a CSA arrangement works:
- You cook from scratch: The number one reason people do not sign up for a second year in a CSA is because ‘it’s too much food.’ We are constantly thinking about the right portions for any veggie in the box. For example, we will put in about a pound of beans (enough for a meal or two), but not some crazy amount just because we have a lot. If you aren’t in the habit of cooking, look out because it just keeps coming. A lot of folks on the fence will sign up for every-other-week deliveries, so that would be eight deliveries over four months.
- You are a bit adventurous: We are always thinking about the right mix of crops to fill out the season. We make sure everybody receives the staples you’d expect like sweet corn, tomatoes, and green beans. These staples are 80% of the veggies we grow, but we do sprinkle in some items which you may not be familiar with like fresh fennel, herbs, and some greens. Sure, you will receive standard green leaf head lettuce, but one week you may get a pretty red oakleaf lettuce or red butterhead. I do want our members to ‘live a little’ and try some new things…this is part of the fun. We supply a good mix and we will never send out a box with only ‘weird stuff.’
- You are committed to making it work: Being a CSA member isn’t like joining the army; it’s not that much of a commitment. However, a box is coming every week or every other week no matter what for four months and it needs somebody to take care of it. We don’t want to leave veggies on your doorstep to wilt in the sun for three days because you are out of town. We simply ask that you pay attention and communicate so things work for everybody. You will receive an email from us each week and invitations to some events over the season, including the ‘rules of the road’ about returning your box (keeps some stuff out of a landfill) and other logistical details. We’re pretty flexible and we simply ask that you make it work on you end.
- You are willing to share in the risks: The philosophy behind CSA is that both the farmer and the eater are sharing the risks of the season together. We haven’t missed a weekly box in over ten years of being CSA operators, but there is always the risk that a tornado will hit the farm and we’re out of commission for the season. This is a risk we take together. Members are our insurance policy. If the growing season is good, you receive greater abundance than if the growing season is bad. We can’t control mother nature.
Now’s the time of year when we all look toward spring. We’re putting winter behind us and dream of warmth, sunshine, and summer harvests. I’ve found that this is also the time of year when people start thinking about signing up for CSA shares.
2015 will mark our 10th season operating a CSA and I think we have a long list of reasons why to choose Lida Farm for 2015:
- Certified Organic: Last year we certified to assure folks that we’re “doing it right.” We invest in building soil to produce healthy crops without chemicals and GMOs,
- Clean Energy : We power our farm with carbon-free wind and solar power. Our Ventera wind turbine provides a majority of the farm’s electrical needs and we recently installed solar thermal panels to heat our winter greenhouse.
- Small-scale Family Farm: We’re pretty much the opposite of big ag. All produce which you receive is grown, cultivated, washed, and packed by Ryan and Maree Pesch with some assistance from our friend and apprentice Kelsey Wulf. Our three children make up the rest of the workforce, but their contributions are hit and miss. We’re hoping for 50 shares in 2015.
- Delivered Shares: One feature many of our members enjoy is that their CSA box simply shows up on their doorstep. We deliver every Friday directly to home or businesses in Pelican Rapids, Detroit Lakes, Vergas, Cormorant, and many lakes in between. We have limited shares delivered to a dropsite in Fergus Falls on Tuesdays.
- On-farm Experiences: The fall harvest party may be reason enough to join. We also invite members to pick peas, beans, tomatoes, and a jack-o-lantern.
We offer two kinds of CSA shares: a full/family share where you receive a 3/4 bushel box of what’s in season every week for 16 weeks and an every-other-week share (8 deliveries over 16 weeks). We also expect to do fall storage shares and some winter shares with details forthcoming.
Full share (3/4 bushel box each week for 16 weeks):
- Pick up at farm – $435 (receive 2014 price if sign up by March 15)
- Delivered – $485 (receive 2014 price if sign up by March 15)
Every-other-week share (3/4 bushel box every other week):
- Pick up at farm – $235 (receive 2014 price if sign up by March 15)
- Delivered – $265 (receive 2014 price if sign up by March 15)
*You will receive a 20% discount if using SNAP benefits to have your assistance go further.
Sign up: Fill out this order form. To confirm that you are in our delivery area or whether we have shares still available (especially if you’re reading this in May or later), please contact Ryan or Maree at 218-342-2619 or email@example.com.