Officially we hit summer this week (the 20th on my calendar). It’s exciting to leave one season behind and start a new one, but, on a vegetable farm, this transition gets pretty wild.
The big challenge is that this section of time through June and a bit into July is when we have to simultaneously harvest and weed while squeezing in new plantings. Weeds just explode this time of year as you all probably well know. Think about battling weeds over four acres…crazy.
- Green Onions
- Green Leaf Lettuce
- Red Lettuce
- Bok Choy: See video below for recipe
- Spinach: Definitely not as pretty as I’d like after last week’s hail.
- Garlic Scapes: Green curled things…these are the tops of the hardneck garlic. Chop or mince and use where ever you’d use garlic. It’s a bit more mild than garlic cloves.
- Westlander Kale: Big bunch with blue band. This could also be used in a frittata
- Snap Peas: Yes, you eat the pod.
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- About 2 cups of Bok Choy, Swiss Chard, Garlic Scapes, Spinach