Coming into High Season
July 20, 2012
As you’ll see from the delivery this week, we’re starting to get into high season. Green beans have come into season and we were able to get a couple peppers for everybody this week too. No tomatoes or sweet corn yet, but they are just around the corner.
Reminder: We’re having our open house at Lida Farm this Sunday, July 22 from 2-4 pm. Come on out, have a little drink and a snack, and check out how the crops are growing. This is open for member and non-members alike, so feel free to bring a friend.
In the box:
- Savoy Cabbage: I promise not to give you any more cabbage for some time…I think it’s been 4 weeks now. But cabbage keeps forever in a refrigerator and this stuff was just so beautiful I just had to put it in the box.
- French Breakfast Radishes
- Braising Mix: These are the frilly, purple and green bunch of greens. These are cooking greens.
- Fresh Thyme: The little tiny bunch of fragrant herbs. If you’ve never cooked with fresh herbs, this is your chance. I’m sure you’ll taste a difference.
- Bunch of Beets: These are a mix of Chiogga and Red Ace. The Red Ace are your standard beet and Chiogga are a brighter red and striped red/white on inside. You prepare as you would any beet.
- Contender Green Beans
- A couple Sweet Onions: There’s a red torpedo onion and an Alisa Craig. Th big Alisa Craig is more mile if preparing things with fresh onion.
- A couple Cucumbers
- A couple Summer Squash: We had a mix of yellow straightneck, zucchini, and yellow zucchini
- A Purple Islander Pepper and an Ace Green Pepper
- A Japanese Eggplant: These guys have just started to come into season along with peppers, so some a pretty small. Here’s Bobby Flay giving you some ideas on how to grill these guys: