As you’ll see from the delivery this week, we’re starting to get into high season. Green beans have come into season and we were able to get a couple peppers for everybody this week too. No tomatoes or sweet corn yet, but they are just around the corner.
Reminder: We’re having our open house at Lida Farm this Sunday, July 22 from 2-4 pm. Come on out, have a little drink and a snack, and check out how the crops are growing. This is open for member and non-members alike, so feel free to bring a friend.
In the box:
- Savoy Cabbage: I promise not to give you any more cabbage for some time…I think it’s been 4 weeks now. But cabbage keeps forever in a refrigerator and this stuff was just so beautiful I just had to put it in the box.
- French Breakfast Radishes
- Braising Mix: These are the frilly, purple and green bunch of greens. These are cooking greens.
- Fresh Thyme: The little tiny bunch of fragrant herbs. If you’ve never cooked with fresh herbs, this is your chance. I’m sure you’ll taste a difference.
- Bunch of Beets: These are a mix of Chiogga and Red Ace. The Red Ace are your standard beet and Chiogga are a brighter red and striped red/white on inside. You prepare as you would any beet.
- Contender Green Beans
- A couple Sweet Onions: There’s a red torpedo onion and an Alisa Craig. Th big Alisa Craig is more mile if preparing things with fresh onion.
- A couple Cucumbers
- A couple Summer Squash: We had a mix of yellow straightneck, zucchini, and yellow zucchini
- A Purple Islander Pepper and an Ace Green Pepper
- A Japanese Eggplant: These guys have just started to come into season along with peppers, so some a pretty small. Here’s Bobby Flay giving you some ideas on how to grill these guys: